What is Alpha
Many of the people who attend Kensington are people who are at the beginning of their spiritual journey. Maybe we’re still asking questions – like who God is… who Jesus is… what value does the Bible have, how can I pray? These are the big questions that are at the heart of what it means to have a relationship with God.
We have a program that is designed exactly for people like you – it’s called Alpha. It’s a 9-week introduction to the Christian faith over a great meal with friends, and happens at several of our campuses.
Currently our Winter 2017 session is open for registration at the following campuses (link at bottom of page):
- Clarkston Campus: Sunday, January 22 from 11:00-12:30pm (location TBD)
- Clinton Township Campus: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings, beginning January 24 & 25 from 6:30-8:30pm (Clinton Two has 3 small groups to choose from on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.)
- Orion Campus: Monday, January 23 from 6:30-8:30pm (meeting at Orion Campus room 1300)
- Orion Campus: Alpha for Teens: Monday, January 23 from 6:30-8:30pm (meeting at Orion Campus Room 1112:Early Childhood large group area)
- Shelby Campus: Tuesday, January 24 from 6:30-8:30 pm (24 mile and Shelby area)
- Troy Campus: Wednesday, January 25 from 6:30-8:30pm (meeting at Troy Campus room 213)
- Birmingham Campus: Wednesday, January 25 from 6:30-8:30pm (meeting at Birmingham Groves HS)
- Orlando Campus: Wednesday, January 25 from 6:30-8:30pm (location TBD)
Alpha can sometimes be described as a puzzle, with pieces coming together over time to make a great picture. With that in mind, we’ve cooked up a one-day experience to bring guests from all our Kensington Alpha Courses together – a day designed for you to continue your Alpha journey, with fun, food, music, discussion and some great speakers. Our Winter 2017 Alpha Day will take place on Saturday, March 11th at the Troy campus from 9am-3:30pm. Join your friends by registering HERE.
At the heart of every Alpha Course is the opportunity to make some friends, and we think the best place for that to happen is around some great food. With that in mind, Alpha events involve eating together around a table of eight to 12 people.
Every week we listen to a talk on a theme that is central to the Christian faith. These are presented on video or by one of our Kensington speakers. The talks are fun and engaging (think TED talks), and they create the framework for the discussion that follows.
No question is out of bounds and you’re free to discuss as much or as little as you wish. Everyone is welcome to contribute to the conversation. We don’t assume any particular belief or background knowledge in Christianity.
I've always had a lot of questions, sometimes internalized and forgotten, sometimes very real and present. I moved and got invited to a church... it was unlike anything I'd ever been to. I met people from all walks of life... We all had questions. We all wanted to explore life ... At Alpha I discovered something authentic, real and full of life.
Click here the hear a story